As it turns out...
this is an experiment. But for me, it’s also a breakthrough of sorts. After over 40 years in the music industry as a producer, songwriter, musician, and label owner (with some successes and many failures), I now realize my whole career has been an experiment. The difference is, now I see that and embrace it. I’ve spent my whole life chasing identity; trying to force my way into some box and conquer it. Only to find that, every time I do, I’ve left who I am and what I do outside the box.
Strip it all away, and I find that I know only a few things:
1. It (life, you, whatever it is) is better outside the box.
2. I’m a hopeless creative. I have to be making something at all times. It’s a disease; the one constant that’s been with me my entire life. It just is.
3. It’s some impossible purpose, endeavor or quest that makes me happy; not
success. I may bitch and moan about the lack of resources here and there, but the
truth is, I’d never trade purpose and pursuit for wealth, comfort and stability.
And so, in keeping with this revelation, I find myself moving to the next thing. It’s not a conscious, intentional act, I just find myself there, like so many times before. What distinguishes this time from all the rest?
Again, a couple of things:
1. This time around, I hope to embrace and savor process and journey.
2. I’m not going to hide, and try to just reappear on the other side, victoriously with
some brilliant new thing. I’m inviting you into the mess.
Oh yeah, this new experiment? I’m not sure. I know that it involves podcasting, music and audio, and an attempt to help creatives present and monetize their art in a meaningful way. Grab the popcorn. Regardless of the outcome, it should be interesting.
Last thing—What about your experiment? I bet you have one, are one, or are obsessed with the one you’ve put off for all these years. The beauty is, it could be anything. I hope my endeavor encourages you to take the long look, identify the thing, and have the honest conversation. Then start. You’ll be energized. Don’t hide behind the fear like I have for so long. And for those of you on the journey: Just keep taking the next step, next step, next step.